View from Above

They say the only thing that stays the same is everything changes, but they failed to mention how quickly it changes. My time in Cape Town is flying by, and before I know it I will be flying back home. Thank goodness Mother Nature sees things the way I do, because it was a beautiful 81 degrees yesterday. Unfortunately it did not take much for her to turn on me, as it is now raining buckets and chilly.

Yesterday the cable car up to the top of Table Mountain was finally open! Initially I had planned on going up to the top on my first day, but strong winds and poor weather on the mountain prevented that. Luckily with the nice clear blue skies yesterday, the cars were running full. The taxi driver confirmed what I had suspected about the Dutch and German influence in Cape Town, and pointed out prominent areas and a German school on the way up the mountain. Once to the lower base of the cable car, I jumped in a long line for a ticket up. Fortunately the cable cars hold several passengers and the floor rotates so there is no fuss for the best view. I was up to the top in mere minutes and the view was ravishing, truly putting to shame anything I have witnessed from the Hancock Center or the former Sears Tower in Chicago. (Albeit I do adore Chicago). Table Mountain gives you a complete view from all angles as far as the eye can see-the ocean, the bays, the ports, the beaches, the bustling metropolis, other mountain peaks, hiking trails, sky scrapers, etc. It truly is a sight to see from up top and as a backdrop for everything below.

Following a sunny day on Table Mountain, Shaun was kind enough to play tour guide. He took me for a trip to Signal Hill where several people were enjoying the view from the top with a bottle of wine and sunset photographs. From Signal Hill you can see Camps Bay (the beach area) and Seapoint (the area near the Victoria and Alfred Waterfront). You can also see the sporting arena and a lovely view of Table Mountain and the V&A Waterfront.

Following Signal Hill, we went to probably the best seafood dinner I have ever had at a lovely little restaurant just off of the beach in Camps Bay called Oceans Blue. I ordered the lobster and the prawns (similar to shrimp, but I do not think they are identical. Okay, I had to Google it. Apparently it is size that differentiates them and their gill structure. In any case they are delicious!). It came with salad, chips (which are french fries), and rice. We also ordered calamari for an appetizer, and had it grilled. I had never eaten it grilled, only fried ("How American," Shaun said). Likewise, it was very good!

Following great food and conversation, I detoured for a quick peek at a small grocery store. Verdict: lots of nuts, cheese, and fresh bread. I also took a glance at real estate prices. I think I am going to have to work another year or fifty before I can afford the million dollar mansions that dot Cape Town.

The morning brought about new adventures, acompanied by rain and strong winds. The early hours were spent at the Castle of Good Hope touring torture chambers, cannons, and swords (oh my!). The building is shaped like a pentagon, but unfortunately most of the facility is 'un-tourable.' I was fortunate enough to see the changing of the guards and a cannon being fired. Following the castle, I was off to Two Oceans Aquarium. Given my absolute love of aquariums (Shedd multiple times and Atlanta is next on my list), I was slightly disappointed at the small size of the facility. There were plenty of things to view however. I made it there just in time to see the penguins being fed, but for anyone who knows my attention span for anything less than exhillerating, then you know I did not last long. After a few quick snaps and some cute conversation with the kindergarten class that was also viewing, I was off to the predator exhibit. The lion fish, spider crabs, and the sharks were by far the most interesting. They also had a frog exhibit, jellyfish, and a few rays dotted throughout the facility. In all I was (unfortunately) able to make it through the whole aquarium in about an hour.

Following the aqarium, I dined at The Coloure Red Cafe. I had Chicken Cordon Bleu that was enormous. Following lunch, I toured the small mall on Adderley Street. After spotting three or four pencil skirts and smashing work ensambles, I had to leave. (Just keep reciting: "There is no room in my suitcase, there is no room in my suitcase, there is no room in my suitcase..."). With a rainy afternoon, there was not much left to do in such an outdoor city, so here I am, writing to you and chatting with the locals. The latest pictures are uploaded to Facebook.

Tomorrow is more poor weather, but Thursday I scheduled a wine tour for three different wineries along the west coast, and Friday I am going to do a "Cultural Tour" which gives a tour of the slums just outside of the city. For dinner tonight, I am going to Mama Africa at 7:30 in search of something exotic to eat! (Look out Bear Grylls).

"Life is uncharted territory. It reveals its story one moment at a time." Buscaqlia

And to all a good night...

Cheers,
Stacey





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Sixth Continent

Never Dine Alone

Let the Adventure Begin