Let the Adventure Begin

If life is about the journey and not the destination, I sure get delayed a lot. Indianapolis started the trend with a forty-five minute delay, only for Washington Dulles to follow suit with an hour and a half delay. Nevertheless, I enjoyed every minute of it. I’m here at JFK in New York City, and cannot think of a better place to people watch. From the cantankerous security personnel, to the finely dressed business professionals, you really do see it all at the airport. I like to think of it as an international Wal-Mart (and feel strongly that there should be a website entitled “People of the Airport.”) I see people alone and wonder if they are rushing home to see their long-awaited lover; I see people with hiking packs and wonder where their next adventure is taking them; I see women in high heels and wonder what they were thinking when they decided to wear that on a midnight flight with a twelve hour layover?! And here I am in my yoga pants, old t-shirt, disheveled hair, and without make-up observing it all and waiting for the adrenaline to kick in that I am actually going on a trip I have been dreaming of for years. I wonder what they think when they see me?
Somehow I managed to pack everything I wanted in a forty-two and a half pound suitcase. Looking back, I would probably be content with my backpack, my laptop, my camera, a good fitting pair of jeans, and my Columbia fleece. Albeit, with a two and a half week trip, they might start to walk on their own after awhile. It is 9:03 AM Thursday, I leave JFK at 11:00 AM, and get into Cape Town sometime around 2:00 PM Friday afternoon. With Cape Town being only six hours ahead, I am not concerned about jet lag. I need to purchase an adapter when I get to Johannesburg (the one lay-over I have in Africa). My phone will be turned off, but feel free to comment or email me at smdickinson1@gmail.com.
“Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.” Andre Gide
Cheers,
Stacey

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Sixth Continent

Never Dine Alone