Swan Dive

Written: 10/24/2011
Being chucked out of an airplane on the coast of Australia was a blast! It was a rush to free fall for a few seconds before ultimately pulling the parachute cord and slowly sailing back to Earth. It paled, however, in comparison to standing on the edge of the Bloukran’s Bridge, looking down a thousand feet, and choosing to take the flying leap in the hopes that the bungee cord would not snap from your ankles and send you plummeting to a rock, tree, and dirt infested death. Free falling and watching the world come into immediate focus in front of me was absolutely exhilarating. Un fortunately, much like sky-diving, it seemed as if it was over before it even began, and I found myself purchasing pictures and a dvd of my jump to serve as proof for my future children when they find it hard to believe that their soccer-hauling, mini-van driving, cookie baking mother would have ever done something so outright daring.
After the jump, it was lunch at the local pub where you can watch other eager jumpers take the plunge over pizza, burgers, and calamari. Post lunch, it was back in the Yaris. Yep, that is correct. The tourist rental vehicle of choice is apparently the Toyota Yaris. It has become the running joke that if you see a white Yaris, you know you have found a tourist, and let me just say, they are everywhere! (I cannot help but think of the Prius bit by comedian Jeff Dunham). It has actually been quite a great little ride, with plenty of space, a radio that only picks up four stations (most of them playing American music from the 80’s), and great gas milage.
The afternoon was a leisurely drive to Port Elizabeth-the fifth largest port. As forewarned by the locals and even one of my two guide books, PE (as the locals call it) is not very exciting. There is some beach front on aptly named “Beach Road,” but it is not nearly as scenic as you would hope for or expect.
The hostel I picked is a charming little pink house just off of the main drag. King’s Beach Backpackers appears to be a renovated home complete with multiple rooms that are lined with bunkbeds. There is one bathroom and one shower, two cats, and a cute little dog named Molly who has a hot pink collar and is only a few weeks old. (For those of you who know I am not a pet fanatic, give me credit for calling her cute. And I will also have you know she hung out while I dried my hair tonight). The place, despite its capacity, is empty. No complaints here.
There is a lovely little opera house that I had hoped would be hosting a ballet or play or opera, but no such luck. I have never been to an opera or ballet, but would love the opportunity. I have seen a Mel Brooks production, The Producers, in London and enjoyed it immensely. Nevertheless, the only evening entertainment was dinner.
Dinner was disgusting. And there are not many foods that I just do not like. McDonalds, Taco Bell, snail, ostrich, I can pretty much find something that I enjoy. When requesting a suggestion for any good sushi places nearby (bear in mind, I can see the ocean from my window), he suggested Ocean Basket. I literally thought that it sounded like a Long John Silvers’, but I have never been here, so what do I know? Turns out more than I gave myself credit for. It was a chain restaurant, (not that I especially care about that), and it was awful. The poor service was only trumped by the even worse food. When I left, I was thinking a nacho cheese chalupa from Taco Bell sounded so good-that is how bad it was.
Now here I am again eager for tomorrow’s activities. No internet connection means that you will not see this blog until another day. Tomorrow I leave Port Elisabeth for Shamwari Game Lodge where I will safari away. Addo Elephant National Park was nixed from the plans due to the location and to the fact that there will be plenty of elephants at Shamwari (www.sharmwari.com).

"Adventure is an attitude that we must apply to the day to day obstacles of life - Facing new challenges, seizing new opportunities, testing our resources against the unknown and in the process, discovering our own unique potential." -Amatt




Cheers,
Stacey

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Sixth Continent

Never Dine Alone

Let the Adventure Begin