Heart in Everything

Tuesday evening brought about an exotic dinner at Mama Africa, a local restaurant on Long Street that supplies good music, unique menu items, and laughter that ricochets down the tourist clad party street. Under a glass Coca-Cola bottle chandelier I dined on everything from crocodile and kudu, to ostrich and springbok. Verdict: it all tasted like steak minus the crocodile, which tasted like (you guessed it) chicken. Needless to say, if I were locked in a zoo, I would not starve. (Don’t worry, I would save the sharks).

For all of my readers, followers, and random people who have stumbled across by blog by mistake, heed my advice. If you are at a point in your life where you do not know what you want to do; if you are simply not good at anything; if you enjoy being proven wrong-meteorology is for you! I wasted 150 credit hours in accounting for the sake of my CPA exam, when I could have been smiling in front of a teleprompter, “Sunny, with a chance of rain and snow today.” If you were under the impression that Indiana was the only state you could see four seasons in one day, you were mistaken. Cape Town’s forecast for Wednesday was 90% chance of rain all day. Weather.Com reported an hour by hour forecast that ranged from 80%-90% from 6 AM until 8 PM. I was only idiotic enough to wait around until about noon before I realized that the sun was not going anywhere in a hurry.

For lunch, I tried Fork, a popular Brazilian tapas (appetizer) restaurant. I went in expecting it to be very similar to Barcelona Tapas in downtown Indianapolis, but to my surprise, it was quite different. The starter was bruchetta, followed by deep fried goat cheese, Moroccan meatballs, sautéed mushrooms, and other various, delicious foods. Running out the door to capture the sun while it was still out, I hailed a taxi.

A quick trip up the mountain side and I quickly felt like Alice in Wonderland. The Kirstenbosch National Botanical Garden’s are truly a sight to be seen. From the numerous Birds of Paradise to the Calla Lillies, everything was bright, colorful, green and adorned with the mountains. A writing pad, an i-Pod with Adelle, and a leisurely stroll through the expansive gardens would be a day dreamers paradise.

Thursday brought about a romantic beauty of its own. The Cape Winelands are truly romantic. Breathtaking views of the country side, bottles of wine, and flower gardens as far as the eye can see make these locations ideal for a romantic soiree. The tour guide picked me up about 8:30 that morning, and I was quick to realize just how much I was going to enjoy this trip. In addition to our extremely knowledgeable and witty tour guide, Supa, I met two people from Holland, a girl named Flor and a guy named Renee. Both have been dreaming of coming to Cape Town for years, and were ecstatic to be here (and, like myself, Flor was ready for their shark diving trip scheduled for today). Additionally, (and to serve as proof that it really is a small world after all), there were two Americans from North Carolina, Jerry and Suzy, enjoying their retirement with a trip to South Africa. After discussing where we were from they asked if I knew anyone with the last name of Wiseman. I do, as a matter of fact know a Wiseman-my family doctor, John Wiseman. It turns out, that John’s wife, Patty (also a doctor) is Jerry’s cousin. Thousands of miles over the ocean and I’m running in to people who know my family doctor.

The tour took us across three different wineries in three very different areas, all with more beauty than even a creative mind could imagine. The pictures truly pale in comparison to the quaint, all white shops, the views that leave you in awe, and the memories that were made. The wine tasting, while exquisite and much more superb than any wine tasting I’ve partaken in around Indiana, was merely a platform for good conversation and inviting story-book towns.

Today brought about a much different feeling. Today I toured the slums just outside of the city. I went in expecting it to be very much like parts of Fiji and the Caribbean that I have seen, yet it was considerably different. People were not begging, nor did I feel unsafe. People did not seem disgruntled or disheartened with their lifestyle and living in a shack not suitable for animals, let alone human life. In fact, I would argue that despite their lack of electricity, sewage, and plumbing, life was bustling all around. Singing, and weaving, and working, people took no notice of me and my camera that was glued to my hands in search of somehow bringing back my experience to the US.

Without question, the best part of the tour was the kindergarten that I was able to attend. The children loved having their picture taken. While they knew only a little English (as they were still learning), as soon as the camera went up they yelled, “Cheese!” For me, it was one of those heart-felt moments that cannot be replicated, replaced, or described (despite my attempt here). Despite language barriers, and economic differences, sexuality or the color of your skin, we are all human, and it was as evident on that small playground in the middle of the slums on the outskirts of Cape Town as I have ever seen it.

It occurred to me, as I lay awake, unable to escape an ever-thinking mind, that I as a 26 year old have had the pleasure of being on four of seven continents in the World. Pretty incredible; pretty fortunate; pretty blessed. As my time here in Cape Town comes to an end, I find myself secretly wondering where my adventures will take me next. I believe I want to hit the other three continents before intentionally repeating one, despite that there are several countries I would love to see on continents I have already been to. Maybe Asia next. Time will tell.

Tomorrow brings about a whole new adventure-driving in another country. I will leave around 5 AM for Oudtshoorn, a new hostel to sleep in, and Cango Caves. I do not know what the internet access will be like as I travel along the Garden Route, so it might be a while before I will be able to post again, but rest assured, I will be writing.

“Adventure is not outside, it is within.” Eliot







Cheers,
Stacey

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Sixth Continent

Never Dine Alone

Let the Adventure Begin