Island Bound


We spent our last morning in Chiang Rai eating a combination Thai and American complimentary breakfast at the hotel. I was able to get caught up on half of my post cards and half of my blog posts last night. We took the airport van from the hotel to Chiang Rai airport only to realize we had arrived 2 hours too early.


I took advantage of the time and filled out the last of my dozens of postcards from Northern Thailand and mailed them off—one of my favorite airport perks is an airport with a mailbox (or in this case an entire post office)!

We’re currently on the plane starting our decent into tropical Phuket! I’ve spent the majority of the time catching up on the last of my blog posts (all caught up!). When we arrive in Phuket, Aoy from Wicked Diving will be my personal driver up to Khao Lak. Antonia is heading to another beach side town an hour and a half south of Phuket airport. Preparing to land now! 


Later that day

Aoy picked me up from the airport and we drove up to Khao Lak, arriving around 3 PM. Of all of the places I've been so far in Thailand, Bangkok, Chiang Mai, and Chiang Rai, this is the first place where no one seems to speak even a small amount of English. So when there was an issue with my room reservation, a game of charades ensued. It turns out they overbooked, which was very frustrating, as the place I am staying is directly across from the dive shop. Thankfully they did help get other accommodation sorted, but not as close to the dive shop. It's a bed and a hot shower and I'm only here one night, so I can't complain. 


By the time this was sorted and I'd gotten into my room it was 4:30 PM and I hadn't eaten since that morning. I don't like coconut and I don't like curries, but Thailand must be wearing on me because that was exactly what I was craving. I walked to a small restaurant, one of dozens that line the street, and ordered red curry and a bottled water. 


I had hoped to meet up with a friend from college, but plans fell through and I spent the remainder of my evening wondering the area and catching up other errands. Tomorrow I'll do a quick refresher course in the morning at 10 AM and then the boat takes off at 6 PM. 



Dreaming of octopus, whale sharks, and manta rays. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Sixth Continent

Never Dine Alone

Let the Adventure Begin